Top Hot Tubs. More small pumps? or fewer large pumps?
There are a lot of reasons why 2 large pumps are better than 4 small ones.
The first thing to understand is all of the high-end therapy hot tubs are using every bit of available electrical power allowed. What this means is simple… if we are maxing out the power with two pumps and we go to 4 pumps those 4 pumps have to be 1/2 the size in terms of electrical power… This fact is often is hidden because hot tub guys quote the horsepower of the pump head, not the electric motor driving the pump 🙂 Crazy right??? I can put a huge 6 hp pump head on a tiny little motor and tell you it is a 6hp pump…lmfao! But we can not get away from the scientific fact that there are only so many amps of electrical current available and using more pumps is simply a gimmick designed to make more profit from you and actually reduces the performance and efficiency of your hot tub and here is why…
- Bigger pumps are more efficient than smaller pumps, larger pumps offer efficiencies of 75% to 93% and the smaller ones usually fall into the 50% to 70%
- This means that 3 x 2hp pumps are not going to perform nearly as well as one 6 hp pump
- So the more pumps we have the more power we waste and the less actual water pressure we get!!!
- Performance in the chair
- A 2 pump system not only has more power due to efficncy but it also can put more flow to a single chair.
- If we have 2 big pumps using all the available power with diverters then we can put one whole big pump into the main massage chair.
- if we have 4 pumps they have to be 1/2 the power of the big pumps and then each pump runs a chair so the best we can have is 1/2 the power to the chair. And ecause of the efficency loss we really only have about 3/4 of the power available.